“Goodbye” (2012) from Joel Ashton McCarthy Media on Vimeo.
Two brothers take a once-in-a-lifetime road trip to transition into the next stages of their lives — but not in the way they’d originally planned.
This short film was Originally created for the “Expedia/NFFTY: Find Yours contest, but after an overwhelming response I’ve re-cut it as a stand alone short film and have started submitting it to festivals.
Director/Co-Writer/Co-Producer/Editor – Joel Ashton McCarthy
Co-Writer/Co-Producer – Sharon Miki
Directors of Photography – Anthony Bortolussi/Charles Chen
Colorist- Anthony Bortolussi
Score: Chase Horseman
Makeup – Jacqueline Parker
Joel (Younger Brother) – Joel Ashton McCarthy
Chris (Older Brother) – Liam Carter
Beach Girl – Stephanie Trembath
Young Chris on cell phone photo- Justin Laurin
Background – Anthony Bortolussi/Jacqueline Parker
- Audience Choice (Most Votes): Expedia/NFFTY: Find Yours International video contest.
- 2nd Place (Jury): Expedia/NFFTY: Find Yours International video contest.
- Vancouver Short Film Festival 2012
- NFFTY 2013
- Sene Film, Music & Arts Festival 2013
Social Media Comments from strangers
- “still crying…so loved this…thank you.”
- “if this is real… i cried like an absolute school girl.”
- “I am not religious or even all that spiritual, but I REALLY believe your brother was with you every step. You did a fantastic job of honoring his memory with this film.”
- “just beautiful.”
- “this is amazing! Loved it!”
- “Best of the bunch as far as I am concerned.”
- “Find Your Goodbye was the clear winner! Nevertheless congratulations to the winner!”
- “This was excellent… great idea and story”
- “Hope you won’t mind, but I shared your Expedia video with some co-workers, two of whom have already appeared in my office with tears in their eyes. So well done!”